Friday, March 10, 2006

One-Hundred Thirty

In case ewe were wondering, I have been riding. Not a lot, but hopefully enough for now.

Last Sunday I rode to Hagg Lake and raced at Banana Belt (my first road race ever). I finished 26th out of 37 Cat 5 finishers, and 63rd out of 78 Cat 4/5 finishers. I stayed with the main pack for less than a lap (boat ramp C to boat ramp A, going clockwise) before a handful of us split off the back. I stayed with that group for the rest of the race, which was fun. The sprint to the finish left me on my fixed gear in the dust.

After the race, I learned that it's against the OBRA rules to ride a fixed gear in a mass start unless everyone else is riding fixed too. So this Sunday I plan to flip my wheel around and use my 18 tooth freewheel. On Tuesday I drove downtown and picked up a 47 tooth chainring from Bike Central. We'll see how that combination works. My freewheel probably has less than 20 miles on it, so I'm not sure what to expect. I'll still be breaking the rule about having a brake on each wheel. But I do have two brakes in the front. (Shhhh.. Don't tell.)

The previous week (Saturday, Feb 25th) I rode with Doug Peterson to Salem and back. I was fried after that one. A few weeks earlier (Feb 5th) we did a shorter ride up Logie Trial, down to US 30, east towards Portland, and back up over the hill. The hills felt really tough that weekend too. Oh yeah, Doug kicked my ass both times. Prior to that, my longest ride of the year was about 50 miles (mostly flat with some rollers). At least I feel sharp mentally.

I've ridden to work several times this year. Lately I've been pulling the Bob trailer behind the Country Road Bob instead of carrying panniers. Once I tried picking up David from swim practice with the trailer hooked up to the trail-a-bike hooked up to the bike. With David on the trail-a-bike, I was scared to death. I could hardly control such a long train. I thought there was a good chance we might swerve out into traffic. I get chills just thinking about it.

Monday I had a mole removed from my right calf, which left me with four stitches. The doctor suggested that I stay off the bike for a week or two. But I'm convinced there is no way I can possibly accidently rip out the stitches at this point. The skin is healing fast, and it just doesn't streatch that much.

Enough information for now, I suppose. Aren't you glad you asked?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are certifiable, you now that right? I noticed your on the '06 RAO roster - I'm glad your coming back! Be sure to save a little something for Timberline this year, OK? :)

Regards, Senor Llama

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home