Sunday, June 10, 2007

Two Hundred Thirty Eight















Posted by Upton Dabney - Today it finally started. I am sure that the last few days have been causing a bit of anxiety in John, although he would not admit the nervousness, seemed a little like a kid eagerly awaiting the Christmas morning, and Santa had arrived.










John got a lot of looks and comments from other bicyclists as he was going single speed for this race. Actually, a one point on the course, another team recovered his water bottle, and returned it by asking, "yopu guys are with the single speeder, right?".... He has been getting a lot of positive remarks from the other teams and support crews.










At Time Station 1, a lot of people were taking pictures of his bike... making sure that it was for real. The other qquestion we have been getting is whether he has different gears, and we tell them the two gear ratios he is using.










I took a few pictures today and hope you enjoy them.










2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, John.

I don't know if your crew is reading comments and words of encouragement to you during your race from your blog but I'll give this a try.

I apologize for not calling you the night before the race to give you my well wishes. By the time I thought about it, it was too late at night. Then, the race started early in the morning for you.

Anyway, on your first day in the race I think you are doing exceptional compared to some of the veterans of the race. Keep pushin' the pedals and take one time station at a time. Your adrenaline is probably rushin' high now with all the excitement of the race. Just stay focused on yourself. The rider positions are going to change frequently in the race, as you know. Just keep visioning yourself taking on and passing the next rider ahead of you as you leave him/her in your West coast dust.

Stay strong mentally and physically. I can vision you being a challenge to some upcoming riders. Just go for it!!!

Best wishes,
Alicia

11:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Upton,
I was going to make some updates for John during the race but can't get logged into the account. He gave me the password and he and I both assumed I'd be able to figure out the username. Can you help me out? If my email isn't in my profile
m d rider at g mail...

I spoke with Mike (crew chief) last night (9:00PM PST) and John was doing well. Spirits seemed high and John was really cruising after suffering in the heat a bit during the day.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home