Monday, May 23, 2005

Sixty-Nine

Last week I was in Malaysia on business. I took my old Nishiki, which I fixed a day or two before the trip, but didn't ride nearly as much as I hoped. Saturday, the day I arrived in Penang, I spent some time in the gym, rode a trainer for about 30 minutes, and then took the bike for a short spin around the hotel - maybe 30 minutes. Sunday was the best riding day of the week. I went from the hotel in Bukit Jambul about 3/4 of the way around the island to Batu Ferringhi via road 6. On the way back I took a different route from Balik Pulau up over a big hill that took me almost straight back to the hotel. The heat and the hill took so much out of me that I actually had to walk the bike for a while. I think that's only the second time I've ever had to get off and walk. The first time I was packing a couple of bags up an icy road in the middle of winter.

The rest of the week I was on the rollers for 10 minutes here and there. Nothing to write home about.

I landed in Portland late Saturday night. I was supposed to chalk up another 100 miles Sunday, but that didn't happen. It was raining (hard) off and on, and I was too busy catching up on chores around the house, trying to mow the yard, etc. Then Sacha sent me an email saying the Lemond was ready and I could pick it up, so I did.

This morning I broke in the Lemond before (ok, "instead of") going to work. I did 50 miles fairly easy. Besides the new fork, new brakes, new handlebars, and new stem, I also swapped out the 40 tooth chainring for a 42. My knees were talking to me a little, but the descents were a piece of cake. Hopefully, I'm not shooting myself in the foot... Speaking of which, yesterday I noticed that the ball of my left foot hurt. I took off my sock to see what was going on. It looks like athletes foot, so I've started to treat it with a fungicide cream. The pain has gone away, but it will probably take a while for the skin to clear up.

I've got all my supplements organized in zip lock baggies for the race, and I've started to increase my vitamin intake. I'm also taking REM caps and trying to get back to a normal sleep pattern as quickly as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home