Friday, March 24, 2006

One Hundred Thirty-Four

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:34:27 -0800 (PST)
From: John Spurgeon
Subject: Why I've stopped shopping at Costco
To: customerservice@costco.com

Dear Costco,

I contacted the Costco store at 1255 NE 48th Ave in Hillsboro, Oregon. I was told that the packaging materials used for several types of fresh fruit can not be recycled. It must be thrown away.

I'm very disappointed by the lack of social responsibility that Costco is exhibiting. Of all the stores my family shops at, Costco appears to me to be the worst offender when it comes to plastic packaging for fresh fruit.

To preempt some of my wife's buying habits, I have decided to start buying much of the fruit our family eats at the New Seasons Market in Orenco. I believe I get more for my money from New Seasons when I factor in food quality and their emphsis on sustainability. I will also attempt to grow as much food as possible in our garden and buy directly from local farms and markets whenever possible. Finally, I will encourage my wife and others to stop shopping at Costco until the store changes certain business practices that deeply offend me.

Today I read an article about Walmart's plans to start selling more organic products. This gives me hope that large corporations in this country are beginning to listen to customers like myself who are concerned about the impact our buying habits are having on future generations. I sincerely hope that Costco hears this message and acts appropriately.

Regards,

John Spurgeon
Hillsboro, Oregon

CC: To whom it may concern at
Costco Corporate Headquarters
999 Lake Drive
Issaquah, WA 98027

CC: Mayor Tom Hughes
City of Hillsboro, Oregon

CC: Roger Gamino
Store Manager
New Seasons Market at Orenco Station

CC: To whom it my concern at
The Northwest Earth Institute

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home