Friday, November 03, 2006

Two Hundred One

Everything you've been dying to know and then some...

On the Saturday the 14th, I rode about 60 miles with Matthew and then a few more with the rest of the family. We drove the bikes out to the linear state park that goes from Banks to Verbort. I left my allen wrenches at home, so my front wheel wasn't on very tight. We ate apples that were growing along the trail until we were nearly sick and then took a bunch home with us. The 'cross race at Hillsboro was the next day.

My parents flew out for a visit on Tuesday, October 17th. They returned home Wednesday, the following week. Dad was busy as usual building shelves for the closets, installing a new air foil on the van, assembling bookcases, etc, etc. Mom accompanied me to the DMV on Friday, where I took (and passed) a driving test. Yes, I have a driver license again, but I don't use it much. It does come in handy once in a while. After surviving without one for a few months, I feel comfortable managing the responsibility. Sort of like graduating from rehab, I suppose. Saturday we went to a Boy Scout open house at Camp Ireland - very cool place, by the way! Sunday we drove down to Eugene to visit Xiang. Saturday and Sunday mornings were spent at the T-Hills pool for David and Lara's swim meet. Dad and I talked about RAAM and printed out the 2006 route. About half way through the printing process, I realized that we were probably consuming trees unnecessarily. Last year the complete route was provided in DeLorme's electronic format for use with their mapping software and, ideally, a GPS device attached to a laptop.

On the 28th, I rode to Salem. Less than a mile from the house, a strap from one of my panniers got caught on my cog. The fixie won that battle; my pannier is now a little worse for wear. I flatted crossing the bridge in Salem. A few miles later, I stopped at one of those road-side taco trucks for a $4.50 Super Burrito. (Note to self: Resist the urge to consume large quantities of hot peppers.) I met Julia and the kids at the mall for dinner. We had a bunch of coupons for free this and that. I don't think we spent a dime, in fact. Coincidentally, we ran into Joseph. Matthew was coming to pick him up. So we decided to split up. Julia went home while Matthew, the kids and I went to the Hillsboro fair grounds where we all took a ride on a monster truck. For $5 a head, the truck did donuts for a few minutes with us strapped into seats in the bed of the pickup. The girls screamed really loud. It's one of those things I'd do once, but not again. I prefer BIG roller coasters.

The next day I went to the Flying-M ranch for my third 'cross race. I was a little tired, and Matthew commented that I didn't look too excited. I did have lots of fun, though. A few beers during the race boosted my spirits. The weather was great. I had my first ever serving of Chris King pancakes. The Halloween costumes were awesome. Some funky bikes. There was even a tandem. I felt bad that I wasn't able to get anyone to come along with me. The kids would have had a blast.

I got pretty wet riding to and from work yesterday. The forecast is rain for about a week. Last night I hung a piece of 1" PVC pipe from the ceiling in the downstairs bathroom. That room really heats up, especially with a little portable space heater. It's a great place to dry clothes now.

Intel made me an offer I couldn't refuse. This year the company is matching gifts to any 501c3 non-profit organization. Any "Blue Badge" employee can give to a charity of their choice and Intel will donate an equal amount to local United Way programs. It was the perfect opportunity to give some money to the Challenged Athletes Foundation.

I mailed my deposit for RAAM today!

I'm still reading Road Fever. I'm also reading a new book about Lance Armstrong by Brad Kerns.

Work has already begun on the Spectrum tandem. Also, Ira tells me I'm next on his list. The amazing Mike Jacob has agreed to be my crew chief for RAAM. Life doesn't get any better than this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home