Thursday, May 26, 2005

Seventy

Rebuttal

George's blog entry is very generous. He failed to mention that I was only riding from Long Creek to Prineville on Saturday and Prineville to Timberline on Sunday (half the course in two days). So "setting the pace" on the Keyes Creek climb isn't as impressive as the fact that Tom and Andreas, who were riding the whole course in three days - wasted no time chasing me down and were hot on my tail by the time we reached the decent into Mitchell. Hopefully, I've got what it takes to finish. But as far as being competitive with the rest of the field goes, don't bet the ranch on it.

That said, George has a way of setting expectations that you feel compelled to try to live up to. For example, when I first considered doing RAO "fixed" I sent George an email saying I might use a fixed gear and possibly a freewheel at times. Next thing I know, George had me in my own "fixed gear" subdivision and had even assigned me number 001. As anyone who rides a fixed gear will tell you, there's a big difference between riding a "fixed gear" vs. a "single speed". In fact, my original thought was to give myself the luxury of not one, but two gears by using a fixed/free 15/18 tooth flip-flop rear wheel. When I saw my name on the website, I said to hell with it and decided I better plan on doing the whole thing fixed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home