Wednesday, September 06, 2006

One Hundred Sixy-Five

My good friend, neighbor, and RAO crew member, Matthew Rider, was hit by a car last evening while riding on Germantown road near the intersection of 185th. The sunset might have affected a driver's vision.

Matthew went to the hospital and was released a few hours later. He was banged up, but didn't seem to be hurt too seriously when I spoke with him last night. His bike is toast, and his cyclocross season may be too.

A few days ago, I was about to ride to work without my helmet. Matthew saw me and reminded me to put my "lid" on.

Matthew helped organize the OBRA Woodland Road Race. I was very excited when he got to park the OBRA truck in front of his house a few weeks ago.

Get well soon, Matthew!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you John. I am doing very well. Getting hit by a car sounds very dramatic but I got off very easy, the car was just back far enough that it missed my body and I was fortunate enough to have my momentum carry me away from the moving car and on to the hood of a stopped car. Car hoods are much software and smoother then pavement so I think I'm glad the second car was there.
It's been almost 48 hours now, a few new minor pains have appeared but my shoulder and ankle are much better. My left wrist has improved but is still bad enough that riding might be a problem for awhile. Riding my bike in front of the house last night (wearing my new helmet!) was okay until a tiny little bump caused a sharp pain in my wrist. I suspect a few more days and it won't be a big deal. I hope to make it out to race at PIR next week. If my wrist is still bad I'll wear a brace on it and/or sit out the sprint but I need some good hard efforts to get ready for cyclocross.
So, the helmet! You and athleteslounge totally rock. Thank you so much for hooking me up. One reason I choose my last helmet is that it wasn't what everyone else was wearing, the new Limar helmet fits that description and looks cool so I'm excited about it.
I'm excited that you'll be out there doing cyclocross this year. You were so fast up Timberline road during RAO that I didn't get to ring a cowbell at you so I'll make up for it this year as you rocket around the 'cross courses doing the single speed thing.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home