Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Seventy-Three

Roadkill

What a weekend! I made it approximately 530 miles to the corner of 26 and Timberline Rd. before being smashed by the course. My split at time station 5 (528.9 miles) was 45 hours and 10 minutes. Even after resting for 10 minutes, I still had over 2.5 hours to make it 10 more miles to the finish. But my body was shutting down and my crew had to make the tough decision to put me in the van and call it quits.

I started to put the hammer down at Prineville to make up some time. Then in Warm Springs I saw Dick Weber a mile or two in front of me on the first climb. I pushed it up a notch and eventually passed Dick only to let him go again shortly afterwards on the flats. Then I saw the lights from his support vehicle shortly after Pine Grove and once again the competitive juices starting flowing. I was really flying on the way back to 26. However, I forgot exactly how far it was from 26 to time station 5. I thought it was only a couple of miles, and when I learned that I still had over 10 miles to go my heart sank. All I could do was suck it up and try to stay ahead of Webber.

That's when my body went on autopilot and I started loosing my mind. I couldn't tell for sure whether I was awake or dreaming. I'm amazed that I was able to stay on the bike without crashing, especially on the descents on 26. Once, I crossed over a large crack in the road running parallel to the white line. That jolted me a bit, but still not enough to snap me back to a normal state of mind.

One thing I remember very distinctly is paying close attention to every road sign. I was trying to make out the letters and words on the signs to see if they made any sense. I kept hoping that they would look like gibberish and that would be the proof I was looking for that I was actually dreaming. I think I was grasping for anything that would let me drift off to sleep without having to worry about not finishing.

Sure, I feel very disappointed about quitting so close to the finish. But at the same time I'm satisfied and proud of what my crew and I were able to accomplish. I'll always appreciate the journey I took with my crew more than I'll regret missing the final destination. I've got many more races ahead of me, but this year's Race Across Oregon was a once in a lifetime experience. With a little better training and smarter pacing I'm sure I'll get my finisher's medal next time - on a fixie, of course.

Watch out Furnace Creek...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

John recieved a much deserved standing ovation Monday night at the RAO Banquet. John, you are an animal! I find it hard to believe that you made it as far as you did on a fixed gear, maybe next year stick to a single speed, huh? :)

Ken

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! John you kick ass, that is hard core! All on a fixed gear, that is so tough. Did you see any sleep monsters out there?
Heck Yeah, you deserved that standing ovation-congrats!
Looking forward to training with you again next year-
-Sarah Mc

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home