Sunday, June 24, 2007

We did it!


Your thoughts, cheers, and encouragement were like a tailwind pushing us to the finish. I'm humbled by all the attention. Thank you!

I've said it before - RAAM is not about the bike. Every rider who makes it to the finish overcomes his or her own unique set of obstacles. I'm certain that many riders were tested in ways that make my race seem easy in comparison. I hope you take the time to learn about all the wonderful stories that unfolded this year. I was deeply touched by many of the riders, and I hope to share some of my experiences with you in the coming days, weeks, and months.

Now, regarding certain rumors... I am NOT considering doing RAAM on a fixed gear - ever! That WOULD be an impressive accomplishment, though. Is there anyone on earth crazy enough to try it?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another empty promise anyone? Because we all know ewe are the only one who is crazy enough to try it on a fixed gear. And like all your dreams they bounce around in your head like pinballs until your sanity lets them slip past your paddles of reason. TILT! If I was a betting man I would take this bet.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd like to point out that I didn't start this rumor. Go here
http://raceacrossamerica.org/s-p-u-r-g-e-o-n
to get my source. "Earlier in the race Spurgeon told me that he is considering fixed-wheel for next year." Of course that doesn't mean you're considering it now, or you believe you'll ever consider it. I don't know that I'd put money on it happening on a fixie, but I wouldn't bet against it either.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fixed or not fixed? Who can tell until next year. The real question is did you stick with fast food from coast to coast?

4:56 PM  
Blogger Sabertooth Salmon said...

Upton replying for this one - John's diet was a bit on the unconventional side, although it was amazing how many strawberries one man can eat...John had a few too. John typically had something from a restaurant at least once a day, usually a sausage biscuit in the a.m. and sometimes if things were convenient, a burger of chicken sandwich in the afternoon. We found a good balance between the liquid and real food diet. I know as we entered Trinidad, CO, I spotted a Dairy Queen, and had someone run to get a banana split for him. He found that the method of mixing some of the Hammer products together actually were more palatable than the recommended amounts, and alternated with Boost for the added calories during quick stops along the road.

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home