Friday, March 18, 2005

Nineteen

Good weather today, so I rode Greg - the Lemond - to work. (Bob, in case you're confused, is my other fixie: a Country Road Bob.)

Tomorrow I'm meeting Scott and Sara at Sauvie Island. We plan to ride up Rocky Point "as fast as we can" (Scott's words) and regroup at the top. Rocky Point is about 3 miles of steep climbing, so I don't mind taking it easy today. Yahoo say's it's 15 miles from my house to Sauvie if I go over the hills on Cornellius Pass. So I'll probably get in a good 50 miles of hard riding tomorrow. Then I'll go long on Sunday.

After work I took Xiang and Ashly to school for a band concert, performance, or something of the sort. (I'll probably have to leave to pick them up any minute now.) Then I stopped by Performance to return a helmet. While I was there I picked up two cans of White Lightning Clean Streak - impulse buy because they were on sale. Used carefully and in moderation, it's great stuff. I also bought one of those heavy-duty puncture resistant tubes and a 700x35 Performance brand Kevelar tire ($21).

When I got home I put the tire on Greg's rear wheel. A few days ago I put Bob's front wheel (a 32 hole Surly hub and Velocity Deep V rim) on Greg, since I needed a computer for a milage challenge ride, and the spokes on that wheel are the only ones that the Cateye magnet fits on easily. The Surly wheel already had a Conti Top Touring 2000 tire and thorn resistant tube on it. For training rides, I like wide, bomb-proof tires because I almost never have to pump them up, I can run over glass without cringing, they soften the ride, and they make me work a little harder on the hills. Now the dilemma is what to ride during a race. Do I go light for higher speeds and easier climbs, or do I carry some weight to reduce the chance of flatting?

I think I'm finally getting the position of my new Koobi PRS saddle (on Greg) dialed in. I was as sore I've been in a long time after last Sunday's ride, which was just shy of a century. In comparison, when I got back on the Koobie Au Enduro on Bob, it practially disappeared underneath me. I'm tempted to get another seat post so I can have both saddles set up in case I get sick and tired of one during a race and want to quickly switch to the other. Or maybe what I really want is the new Au Enduro PRS. GGCB, I've got to get a new wallet. The one I'm using now is a sieve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home