Monday, November 20, 2006

Two Hundred Four

I decided to do my long ride on Saturday instead of Sunday due to the weather forecast. I only rode about 100 miles (25 mile loop, 50 mile loop, 25 mile loop). On the 25 mile loops, I didn't take any food or water with me. On the 50 mile loop, I took a bottle of Ensure Plus, but it was spoiled. I didn't realize it was bad until I had a mouth full. That was gross. I intended to do one more 25 mile loop, but I didn’t get back on the bike after turning on the TV to see how the Michigan vs. Ohio State game was going. I only watched the last two minutes of the game, but the TV was like a drug tempting me to stay in the house instead of getting back on the bike. I’m not too worried about it at this point in the game. There are 29 weeks to go, and I have to maintain a positive attitude about training. I don’t mind being a little behind schedule as long as I’m healthy and well-rested.

I took Sunday off. This morning I hit the road at 10:30 for a couple of hours, because it was nice outside, and I’ve got meetings tonight that last until 6, and then David has Boy Scouts, so there won’t be any time to train when I get home. I added about 2.5 miles to my usual “25” mile loop by going to the end of Jackson School Road and turning around by the lumber mill. This afternoon I took a 15 minute break and stretched in the gym.

For the past week or two, I’ve been eating oatmeal with dried fruit every day for breakfast (not the instant, full-of-sugar kind). I’m also trying to eat more vegetables and less meat. In Danny Chew’s post-RAAM interview with Jonathan “Jock” Boyer, Chew asks Boyer about the differences between racing at age 50 vs. age 29. Boyer’s comments about diet are very interesting:

“I had without a doubt higher watts in 1985 during the RAAM. The equipment factor was for sure a handicap. In this year's RAAM, I had the best bikes and equipment available, and was able to take advantage of that aspect. My VO2 was not significantly lower, but I feel my efficiency has improved especially in my last 2 years - due primarily to my organic, healthful diet and supplements. I think that my real metabolic health is superior now than in 1985, just then I had more strength to dig into. I could not afford that luxury this year, and even learned quite a lot in my nutritional needs and supplements, and would change quite a few things that would enable me to extend my stamina and strength. The RAAM is a fascinating event that stresses every system that out body has, and keeping each system at it's optimum is so crucial, each choice we make in diet, hydration, clothes, and equipment has such an impact on them, it's critical we make the right choices.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home