Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Two Hundred Seven

Good summary of some recent events...

Mike,

This is great! I don't have issues with any of your suggestions. In particular, I'm thrilled to hear about Mike joining the crew.

I believe my training is on track. If anyone is interested, a spreadsheet outlining some of my objectives is posted at:

http://www.sabertoothsalmon.com/adventures/2007/RAAM_Training.xls

During my prep phase, I allowed myself some flexibility to deviate from the schedule so I could do things like cyclocross. Now that I'm in my base phase, I'm trying to focus and stick more closely to plan. Weather, work, and social obligations still get in the way from time to time. I believe the most critical months will be February to mid May. That's when I plan to be doing regular 200 mile long rides leading up to 500+ mile weeks during the peak phase. My priorities now are staying healthy and injury free, getting stronger and more flexible, working on my diet, and getting the miles under my legs so my body can withstand the high mileage and intensity to come.

I'll have two new "single-speed" bicycles for RAAM. So the bikes should be in excellent shape for the race. A few weeks ago, Ira Ryan (http://www.iraryancycles.com/) told me that my bike was the next one on his schedule. Sacha White (http://www.vanillabicycles.com/) is building the other bike. He's ordered the tubing and has been doing some prototyping for a lean climbing/'cross bike. For now I'm still riding the Country Road Bob everywhere, almost always with panniers. Now that I've got my "Bob Boltz" from Phil Wood, I've started pulling a Bob trailer too.

I received a Selle An-Atomica Titanico saddle a few weeks ago. For the most part I think it's great. The cutout does it's job very well, if you know what I'm talking about. However, I think my sit bones land square on the sides of the saddle where the frame supports the leather. I don't notice it if I'm wearing shorts with padding or if I have a padded cover on the saddle. But with nothing but a thin pair of trousers between me and the rawhide, I can feel the metal frame.

I've started looking into medical power of attorney forms. Here's one example:

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/estate_planning/medical_power_of_attorney.html

As the author points out, I might be able to get a form from a local hospital.

I should get the results of a blood test back soon. So I'll get some feel for whether my cholesterol levels are a problem too. I've got a book that was first published in 1985 called "Eat to Win - The Sports Nutrition Bible", by Dr. Robert Haas. Many years ago I followed the advice in the book for quite a while and noticed improvements in my blood chemistry. I don't think this is rocket science, really. Basically, I need to lay off the salt and sugar, eat lots of raw vegetables, plenty of whole grains, and a moderate amount of lean meat and low-fat dairy. I'll talk about these things more with my doctor.

I think we can start developing some lists soon - at least an equipment/check-list and a to-do list. I can post copies on my website.

Thanks again, Mike!

John

"Jacob, James M" wrote:

The last week, and the next three are going to be just insane here at Purdue. The fact that you haven't heard from me doesn't mean I've been ignoring the race, just that I've had to budget my time, and emailing has gotten the short end of the stick.

1. Yea. blood pressure of 130/80 is a problem for someone riding as much as you are. That is exactly what my MD told me too. I have some suggestions that have worked well for me. I'll pass them along later. For now, take a look at the Sports Nutrition info on the UMCA web site. I think there are a couple of good books.

2. Paul and I swapped phone messages all Thanksgiving week-end, but never were able to get together. We'll have to make that work as soon as I get my grades in.

3. I have a commitment from Mike Smolinski to join the crew (with your approval). He is one of my seniors, a Purdue cheerleader, and state wrestling high school champ. He'll handle all of the electronics (radios, cells, laptops, communication cards, handheld and pc based gps and programs, audio, and lights) as well as drive, navigate, feed, run errands, ... . I know no one with his level of enthusiasm. So, he'll be "in your face" cheering us all on, all the way.

4. I have made contacts with the Nutrition and Sports department, looking for a trainer/sports physiologist, someone to monitor your performance and adjust food, drink, effort level, sleep, ... , to keep you at the desired performance level, as well as drive, navigate, feed, run errands, ... We MAY even be able to do urine, sweat, saliva, and blood sampling on-the-fly. There are several candidates here, one a bike racer and mechanic, and another is a nationally known researcher and marathoner. I should have an answer shortly after the end of the semester.

5. I am also talking with our Nursing school, trying to get an emt, or ER nurse; someone to massage your legs and back and neck, dress your wounds, deal with Shermer neck and swelling, help monitor your health (not just performance), and to make the "He's going to the ER NOW!" decision, as well as drive, navigate, feed, run errands, ... .

6. My goal is a crew of 6, with one leaving in Indy and Xiang filling that spot.

7. In a perfect world, our errand car would be another van, set-up as much as possible just like the follow van, so that if your Honda fails, it's simple and quick to change vehicles and keep you moving while the "errand" folks deal with the dead van. I'm still thinking about that. Help?

What do you think?
How are you doing?

J. Michael Jacob (Mike)
McNelly Professor College of Technology, Purdue University

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home