Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Two Hundred Twenty-Seven

I haven't touched the blog much lately. Seems like I'm spending every minute of every day on something important or unexpected. Getting ready for RAAM - physically AND logistically - is time consuming enough. Then there is work, the kids activities, business trips, certifying running courses, Julia's work, getting sick, the kids getting sick, yard work, gardening, house work, building wheels, cleaning the garage, and just relaxing once in a while. Maybe I'll find some more time to write as I start to taper. But don't hold your breath.

It's going to be HOT in California and Arizona, and my body doesn't see many warm days in Oregon this time of year. I had some conversations with Andres, an exercise physiology student who is on my crew. He says:
As little as 90 minutes training per day for two weeks in a warm environment can stimulate significant improvements in heat tolerance. In addition, aerobic fitness level is often correlated with improved heat tolerance due to a decreased initial core temperature.
At first, I thought about finding a sauna someplace. Then Julia told me that a yoga studio she went to for a while was really hot. The same day, I talked to Robert, and he said that Bikram Yoga is done in a hot room. I checked, and sure enough, Julia had been attending Bikram Yoga sessions on Hall Street:

http://www.bikramyogahallstreet.com/

Sunday afternoon I rode over and attended my first class, taught by Christy Maver. Monday evening, I went again. Eric Thorpe was teaching. We talked for a while after class. He asked if I raced (since I was wearing bike shorts). I told him that I did some long-distance racing and was planning to race across the country next month. He said, "You mean RAAM?!" He knew about the race. (Cool!) In fact, a friend of his, Gretchen, crewed for George Thomas one year. (Very cool!) I'm guessing it was his tandem RAAM with Katie Lindquist:

http://www.mvonline.com/tandemerica/bios.html

Today I went for my third session. Eric was teaching again. After class he and I talked about nutrition for a while. He mentioned hemp protein powder, available at New Seasons, and Maca. Eric said that he mixed equal amounts of each (a few tablespoons) with some carrot juice, and was amazed by how much energy he had after teaching a few yoga classes in a row. Eric says the Maca is expensive, depending on where you get it. Foodfront apparently carries it at a reasonable price:

http://www.foodfront.coop/

I'm lucky to have found Bikram Yoga when I did. I can't think of a better way to spend 90 minutes a day for the last 2-3 weeks leading up to RAAM. If I was a serious contender, I'd probably feel tempted to keep the secret to myself. But who reads this thing anyway?

Bye!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"...who reads this thing anyway?"

I do.

Of course I'm not a RAAM contender, nor hardly even a cyclist now a days.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read it! hehe..........i'm doing RAAM in 2009! i pretty much took this winter off from training and gained 30lbs. too much beer and wine. now that i think i'm fat as hell, i'm back on the bike and riding hard again! gonna do the mtn bike thing this summer, cascade cream puff 100, 24 hr racing, ect. i have a ira ryan 29r coming my way here soon!! damn i can't wait to raam start's for you john! it's going to be great!

good luck bro!!!

Ricky Martin- ow baby!


p.s. feb 17 was my 20th year - no car!

11:26 PM  
Blogger John Henry said...

Training for the 2008 RAAM, Rob Lucas( www.ultrarob.com) rode a training in a small bathroom with two space heaters set on the highest setting. I think you have found a much better method!

7:26 AM  
Blogger John Henry said...

Ouch, 2006 RAAM, not 2008. What was I thinking...

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home