Monday, March 21, 2005

Twenty-One

Trainingwise, Sunday turned into an easy recovery day. Some PT and that was it. The Sidi's were still soaked (should've put newspaper in them Saturday), it drizzled off and on, and I wasn't sure whether I would have a chance to do an initial measurement of the 1/2 marathon course at Champoeg or not. Turns out, I ended up staying home with David while the girls went shopping for most of the afternoon.

I might have calibrated the bike and left for Champoeg early in the morning, but I was waiting for a bike shop in Willsonville to open to see if they stock solid (i.e. airless) tires. They were listed as distributer on one of the solid-tire websites I found. I never did get an answer when I tried calling the store. And after reading some tire sizing information on another website, I figured it would be my luck that any tire I could get my hands on wouldn't fit the only wheel I've got that works with my Jones Counter. So I changed plans and had Julia pick up another thorn proof tube at Performance while she was out. That and a thick tire is probably the next best thing to a solid tire. However, it would have been reassuring to know that hours of work couldn't be ruined by a flat and that fluctuations in tire size were being minimized. (In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, see: http://www.usatf.com/events/courses/certification/manual/appendix-a.asp.)

I used the extra time to take care of a few details. First, I replace the cleats on my shoes. I might have rebuilt them if the outermost metal plate wasn't completely worn through in one corner on both shoes. Instead, I finally broke out the new cleats (and heel pads too), and relagated the old ones to the spare parts bin. Second, I mocked up my "CAUTION BICYCLE AHEAD" sign. Last week I ordered a 30 foot roll of 2" orange reflective tape and a 2'x10' roll of magnetic sheeting with a white coating on the non-magnetic side. I plan to make my own signs for RAO and the 508. I don't need much for RAO: just the CAUTION sign and the SMV triange (which I'm making with a reflective decal, btw). But I'll need "SABERTOOTH SALMON" signs for all four sides of the vehicle at the 508. That will use up just about all of the magnetic sheeting, with a little left over for a couple of fish pictures.

Oh yeah, did you notice that Ruppagator's been posting on Dye Stat again? Something about Goucher and dropping out of a race. Dork.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home