Sunday, March 27, 2005

Twenty-Five

Let's see...

Thursday was uneventful - some push ups, sits ups and pull ups.

Friday I got Bob ready for the 200K brevet on Saturday: one pannier, lots of reflective tape, tools, spare clothes, food, money, etc.

And Saturday I got soaked. The wind wasn't too bad, but there was a decent amound of climbing and the rain never stopped. We left a little after 7 and I finished around 4:15. Only one wrong turn when I missed the Hwy 6 exit at Banks. The other mistake involved my cleats. My left cleat came loose and was sliding forwards and backwards. Murphy's law (or my own stupidity) - the only tool I didn't have was a philips head screw driver. I borrowed one at the first control point and was able to tighen down one of the large screws without taking apart the cleat. Speaking of shoes, in addition to my booties, I tried wearing my seal skinz socks on the outside of my shoes (yes, I cut holes in them). They kept the water out for a while, but eventually soaked through too.

I rode off and on with a fellow named John. His daughter's a triathlete ranked third in her age group (23) last year. He used to do tri's until an injury forced him to stop running. Then he started bike racing and rode with a club in California for a while. I was in and out of the control points a little faster than John, but he caught me on 30 and I didn't see him again after that.

I drank 3 bottles of Perpetuem and 2 24 oz. bottles of Gatorade. At the first control point I had a sausage, egg, cheese biscuit. At the second, a beef and bean burrito and half a power bar - I stuffed the other half in my mouth as I rode back to Portland on dirty 30. Crossing the St. John's bridge was fun. It reminded me of the Portland marathon, and I told myself I'd rather be riding across than running. It was a bit of a let down to get to the finish and find no one there. There were only a few people ahead of me. Most of the pack was behind, and I figured Marvin was out on the course somewhere looking for casualties. I found a pay phone, called Marvin's number, and left a message letting him know when I finished. Then I rode home on the MAX.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home